5 Tips on Choosing Hardwood Flooring
Hardwood flooring is classic and beautiful, with clean lines and the ability to last over time while being easily cleaned. If you’re looking to install new flooring, don’t be afraid to look into hardwood. The floors can be perfect for any home.
The many varieties available in hardwood can match any style, but may sometimes overwhelm you with seemingly endless options. It helps to have a plan in mind instead of just rushing out to buy the first thing you see. With some help, you can make a successful choice.
First, know how much you can afford to spend, and set a strict limit. With everything you have to choose from, there is a good chance you will want to buy something outside of your budget. You should be able to get a style you like and still have high quality without overspending. Make sure you stick to a price ahead of time, and then use these five tips to actually buy your hardwood flooring.
Tip #1 Make sure hardwood flooring is appropriate to the room. In a bathroom, high levels of moisture will only cause damage. Be aware of factors like these that could make your flooring more trouble than it’s worth after its installation.
Tip #2 If you have determined that hardwood floors will indeed work for the rooms you want to put them in, you must also use a type of wood that is sensible there in terms of look and style. Don’t try to put wood with a very light or dark finish in the kitchen.
Tip #3 When choosing a finish, think about your lifestyle and how it will affect your new floors. If you are putting the flooring into an area that is rarely used, a light finish will usually work. However, if the flooring will be in high-traffic areas, try to get a stronger finish. This will hold up better against everyday damage and keep your floors looking nice.
Tip #4 Ask yourself whether you want to install the floors yourself or hire a professional to do it. The former requires more work, but the latter is more expensive. You can install your own flooring, but you need to study to know what you’re doing ahead of time. If you do get someone else to do the work for you, though, you will still have to do some research to make sure the person you hire will do the job well.
Tip #5 Finally, the fun part: picking the style and color of the floors themselves. A basic tip to remember is that your flooring should not go out of style quickly, what with the amount you are spending on it. Past that, base your choice on your own taste and style and you will be pleased with the results for years to come.
5 Tips for Outdoor Decorating
As seasons change from one to the next, the urge to decorate comes with it. Everyone loves changing up the look of the inside of their homes. But, have you ever considered doing the same outside? Typically we become so involved in interior work that we ignore the possibility of outdoor decorating. Outdoor decorating makes your home look good not just to use, but also to people simply passing by. These five tips can help you get started.
- Paint. Depending on your needs, you might want to cover the whole house and its trim in paint or you might want to just touch up or change the color of the trim itself. Either option can make a huge difference in how your home looks from the outside.
- Porch or Patio. If you don’t have a porch or patio, you might want to consider buying one if you can afford it. However, if you already do have one, it can be easy to spruce it up. Add some new furniture, or, if you like what you have, simply add some new cushions or covers to it. You can also set up flowers, gnomes or other statues, or a water fountain.
- Walkways. If your walkway looks warm and inviting, it will have the same effect on your home. If you already have a plain, straight walkway, add solar walkway lights or some flowers to either side to make it more interesting. If you don’t have a walkway at all, consider one made of stones. Installing a new walkway also gives you the option of having it curve or wind a bit on the way to the door, which adds to its visual appeal.
- Yard ornaments. A birdhouse, a lantern light, or even just flowers planted in a wheelbarrow can all be used to decorate outside the home. Match the items to your tastes and you will help give your yard a bit of your own personality. With these touches, you make it look different from every other home on the block.
- Flowers, Plants, Vines & Bushes: One of the easiest and most popular ways to add color and life to your yard is to plant any of these options. This is a great time of year to buy annuals, which will grow quickly, but add some more green by planting perennials as well. These will pay off over time as they continue to sprout year after year.